Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I need your opinion!




Greetings faithful readers.  I apologize for the lack of recent entries - I have a juicy one currently in the works that will be a solid read, I assure you.  Look forward to it with great anticipation.  Until then...

I need some input.  I am seriously considering writing a book that documents my experiences as a TFA member working in possibly one of the worst school environments in all of California, but I don't want to waste my time with it if there isn't a "market" for it.

The book would be targeted to be in the range of ~3-400 pages, written in the same, awesome style that I have written these blog posts.  The book would share my experience with TFA, my perspectives from the front lines, my experiences inside the classroom, and my take on the educational system with which I was thrust in to.  Basically, it would be very similar to the posts that I have written on this blog.  If you have enjoyed it, and you would enjoy to read more about it, or think that other people would enjoy reading more about me/my experience, please let me know in the comment section below.  So, for those of you who saw this block of text and jumped to the line below:

Please comment: (Yes/No) Should I write a book about my experience as a TFA corp member?  I'd love to hear your input, especially if it's a "no", because I want to know why.

7 comments:

parky said...

Jon, I think you should build up the most read TFA Corp Member blog in the US with all of these great stories as you have have shared with us. Fill it with your stories and have some of your friends in TFA provide guest posts and when you another year or so of great stories the book will just fall into place. Love you man - excited to see this all unfold.

Kyle said...

I would read it and I think the movie or a tv show would be a hit.

erin said...

I don't know who parky is but that idea is pretty good. From my vantage point of the world (social media and crap), building a huge following on a blog would be the best place to start to develop a market and show potential publishers that there is an interest. Many bloggers have gotten book deals. It isn't a bad idea. I still think you should keep writing.

Lesley said...

I would read it too- but I have no idea what kind of a market there would be. I guess I listen to NPR too much, but this is just the kind of book I can see "All things considered" interviewing you about.

I think Erin's idea of building your blog readership is a great idea, and I also like the idea of guest posts from other TFA participants.

I would be really interested to see what you would come up with... how it's organized, what topics you choose to address, etc.

Katey said...

Yes. May I help? Because I was going to do the same thing.

Nate said...

I say yes write it.

Ashley Arnold said...

I absolutely agree - I definitely think you should write it. Who knows what kind of snowball effect this could have on future TFA teachers and the effectiveness/ success for teachers and their students? You could almost present it as a case study for successes and failures to the TFA organization. I love Parky's idea - a huge TFA blog? So sweet. I'll design a logo for you. Speaking of logos... I owe you a logo. Love the new blog background.