Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Consistency is Key




Before the year began, I carefully mapped out what I wanted every week to look like.  I wanted to create consistent, systematic structures that would not only simplify my life, but create a classroom structure that my students could come to know and rely upon.

One of these things included me looking at the week schedule, determining which day would be our assessment day, review day, short day, when to do instruction, etc.  Of my objectives for my students this year, one of the things that I wanted to accomplish was to get them to become nearly 100% proficient with basic integer operations, and hopefully with fractions as well.  My strategy for doing this was not only teaching them the rules (yet once again) at the beginning of the school year, but I determined that I would assess them on their integer operations daily via the Do Now - the first five minutes of class - where the students come in, immediately receive a hand out, sit down with their pencil in hand, and get to work.

So I structured my schedule from day one, and I've stuck with it every since then:  Monday - addition, Tuesday - subtraction, Wednesday - multiplication, Thursday - division, Friday - mixed operations.  I honestly didn't know if my students would pick up on this, nor did I think I would care, so I didn't really advertise it, but it makes it easy for me to be accountable and ensure that each operation receive adequate attention.

When I made my copies for the week on Monday, I accidently switched Thursday division with Tuesday subtraction.  I was slightly bothered by it, but I figured it really didn't matter and no one would notice.

Sixth period comes around, and my students are working on the Do Now (division, mind you) and DJ calls me over and says "Why are we doing division today?  It isn't Thursday."

I about died.  I was so incredibly proud with 1. DJ for even noticing and 2. myself for having inflicted this expectation on them for my classroom.  So minor, I know, but things like this really let me know that at some level - I am reaching these kids.  I love it.  More than anything, it's things like this that really reinforces the idea that consistency truly is key.  Also, regarding the image at the top - what do you think?  Is it better to be consistent or have rare moments of greatness and truly shine?

1 comment:

Lesley said...

That quote made me stop and think. I think consistency is better because consistency creates confidence. You have created an environment that they can rely on every single day. You are reaching them because you have created a safe haven where they know what to expect. They may not show you that they recognize it verbally, but your results show that your efforts have paid off. Your classes, your schedules, the way you treat them, and ultimately YOU might be the only consistent thing these kids have.

You should write parenting books :)