Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Education and Entrepreneurship



Something happened to me a few months back.  I haven't spent the time reflecting on the exact source of the change, but I have become absolutely fascinated with the issues of public education and the future of where it is headed.  I'm looking at my browser window right now, and across the top there are 19 tabs that contain web pages of content regarding education that I have earmarked as content that I want to read about and investigate further once I finish my many applications.  And given that I finished my last application today, I guess the time to start working through them is now.  I'm posting a link to the most recent video that captured my attention - it's nearly 90 minutes long, so I honestly don't expect too many people to watch it, but if you do, I found it absolutely fascinating.

The video is a panel of some very influential people in education (Ted Mitchell, President of the California Board of Education and the New Schools Venture Fund, Geoffrey Canada of the Harlem Children's Zone, Richard Barth, CEO of KIPP schools, and Craig Nevill-Manning of Google.org) discussing a number of issues in public education, the challenges and future ventures necessary to transform the US public education system to competitive levels with the rest of the world.  Essentially, they're discussing public education 2.0.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I sure hope you applied to at least 2 or 3 NYC schools. I will keep my fingers crossed.