Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Success!

I started algebraic equations today with my students.  I started off with a balance scale, and used it to demonstrate how if I added weight to one side of the balance, in order to keep it balanced I needed to add weight to the other side as well. 

After 5 months of practicing integer operations, simple things like addition and subtraction, in the form of one-step algebraic equations, my students finally demonstrated that they knew what to do.  When I have Tamiya and Amari, two of my most challenged students, sitting in the front row, shouting out answers and correcting other students, that was the epitome of elation. 

On the other side, I have two cameras that we use for the newspaper and yearbook.  I had all the students sign release forms saying they'd be responsible for any damage while the camera was under their possession, but then today the inevitable happened.  One of my students was pushed to the ground while she was taking a picture, and it damaged the camera.  I'm going to take it home tonight and put my ME skills to use, but if I can't repair it, what should I do?  Do I charge her for a new camera?  I'm a little stuck with this right now...

1 comment:

Bill Woahn said...

I would charge the cost of the camera back to the District. From the way that things are run at the district level, it is highly likely that they won't pay for it, but then perhaps you can file an insurance claim with the school. The problem with charging the young lady is that it probably wasn't her fault that she got shoved to the ground. It was the result of another fellow student. Perhaps that student should pay for it...but then, you'll never get anyone to share who did it. So in the end, it seems that the insurance should cover it because that's why schools get insurance, right? Anyways, just a thought.

Thanks for the entries the past couple of days. It sounds like complete chaos is settling in, but it also sounds like the kids still want to be in your class. How cool is it that the kids are getting the hang of some of the math concepts that you've taught them!!!