Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Allergies and Law Suits




On Wednesday of this week, my students were taking a practice CST test for English/Language Arts.  I had my homeroom students, of which there were only 10 in my classroom.  As I was administering the test, they were being so amazingly well behaved that I decided that I wanted to reward them, and so I pulled some granola bars out of my cabinet.  I put them on the overhead at the front of the room, and told them that if they kept it up for 20 minutes, I had a "brain treat" for them.

They did amazing for another 20 minutes (there were only 10 minutes left in the class after that) and so they had earned the granola bars.  I had two different flavors - "Cookies and Cream" and "Peanut Butter".  I went up to each student and asked them "Cookies and Cream or Peanut Butter"?  Each student would then reply, and I'd give them their choice.

I went up to one particular student - Tamiya - and asked her the same question - "Cookies and Cream or Peanut Butter"?  She says Peanut Butter, I give her her bar and think nothing more of it.  About 5 minutes later, I hear Tamiya spitting something up and then she yells at me "WOAHN!  WHAT DOES THIS HAVE IN IT?!"  I look at her and quietly respond "Tamiya, look at the wrapper - it's Peanut Butter..."  And she yells back at me "I CAN'T EAT THIS - I'M ALLERGIC TO PEANUT BUTTER!"  Good grief.  In my head, I'm imagining a Hitch like experience with her head swelling up to the size of a basketball, her throat closing off, etc.  But at the same time I'm thinking "Are you for real?  I gave you the choice and clearly asked you which you'd prefer - and it's not like Peanut Butter SOUNDS like Cookies and Cream, does it?"  Do they?  I couldn't hear it, no matter how I distorted it.

Anyhow, she spits it out and then asks me if I have any more granola bars.  I didn't, because I just had enough for all of them to have one, and so I said no.  So then she proceeded to respond "Well, if I swell up, I'm going to suit you!" Right Tamiya.  As sweet as this particular young woman can be, she doesn't follow through on anything since I started teaching here.  I wasn't too worried.  But just in case... I had a class full of students who started laughing as soon as Tamiya said that she was allergic to Peanut Butter because - SHE HAD CHOSEN PEANUT BUTTER ON HER OWN!  And all my students knew it.

Thus far, my lawyers number remains silent.  Let's keep it that way.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

That's hilarious.

Masharika said...

Jonathan, you and I both know that the "T" in Tamiya stands for (all) Talk. The lesson I learned last year was that the kids are allergic to anything that they don't like the taste of -- peanuts, broccoli, spinach, baked chips, homework. You get the idea. Just a heads up, though...David really is allergic to peanuts.

Unknown said...

Very good to know! Thanks Mash!

Parkinson Family said...

lol. thats funny