Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Don't cry


I went shopping today.  The bagger asked me if I wanted to put my milk in a bag.  I haven't really been asked this before, or if I have, I've never given the question serious thought.  One thing to know about me - I enjoy trying to figure out how to get all of my groceries into the apartment in a single trip.  With milk in gallon jugs, it's often a challenge because I can only carry two gallons of milk in one hand, and nothing else, while my other hand is completely inundated with about 80 bags with groceries in them.  But if my milk were in bags... well, then I could distribute the load a bit more.

So I said "Sure, why not?"  And it worked gloriously!  I carried the milk to my car without a hitch, my load was evenly distributed between my two hands, and it was great.  Then from the car to my apartment, again, awesome.  And then...

I open the door to my apartment, and the bag my milk is in decides to break.  The milk carton is only about 6 inches off the floor, but evidently it was enough to split the bottom part of the jug, and the carton heaved as milk chugged out and air was sucked in.  As the liquid began to seep underneath the fridge, I paused momentarily as I thought about the series of events that led to these circumstances.  Convenience, simplicity, efficiency.  Yeah, well, I guess it's not worth crying over...

2 comments:

Parkinson Family said...

oh thats no fun! i always carry way too much stuff in with me so i can make less trips....and yeah i've dropped a few too many bags :)

Heidi said...

My question is . . . how is your apartment smelling . . . that's what makes spilled milk worthy crying about!

One who knows . . .

M