Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Slippery Possessions



My laptop was stolen today at school.  According to the police report that was filed, the theft occurred sometime between 12:15 and 1:06, which is during my 5th period.  

I'm full of mixed feelings.  My original thought was that someone was playing a joke on me and had hidden the laptop, and that at any moment someone was going to return it to me.  Then while I was teaching 6th period, I was pretty angry, and had a hard time focusing on what I was supposed to be teaching them.  And finally, by the end of the day, I realized that the computer was gone and the odds of me getting it back are about the same as getting all of my students completely ready for the CST by next week.  Not going to happen, but I'll sure keep trying my best.

Anyhow, I was able to rapidly go through those stages of grief.  I'm not totally familiar with them, but I know that disbelief, anger, and acceptance are all different stages of it.  After school I was talking with another teacher, and she asked me how I was feeling about it (her laptop also was stolen just over 2 months ago), and could completely empathize with how I was feeling.  I told her emotionally, I'm doing just fine.  She was taken a bit aback by that statement, and I told her that in the grand scheme of things - it's not that big of a deal.  It sucks, but I will easily survive this and move on.

At one point, I actually had to laugh about the situation, because I know what's going to happen when whoever stole my laptop turns it on. It's not going to work.

My laptop has been failing now for about three months, ever since one of my students dropped it on the floor as they threw my laptop bag out of my chair.  The computer presents a white screen with not visuals unless it is positioned EXACTLY correctly.  It is a position that I alone know, and I am certain that whoever turns that machine on for the first time will get the white screen, thus rendering the machine unusable.  And knowing the caliber of people who stole my machine, I'm sure the next stop for the machine will be the dumpster.  Suckers, joke's on you.  Even still, it was a wonderful machine and I was looking forward to many more months/years with it. 

Every time I've had something stolen over the past few years (which unfortunately seems to keep happening more and more as of late) I always think of this scripture - it seems fitting.


4 comments:

parky said...

Jon you are the man dude, keep your head up I guess you just have to act on that gut feeling you were getting while I was there..........ITS TIME FOR A MAC! Go get that one that you were looking at, love you man.

Heidi said...

Jonathan - you should write a column . . . you are really interesting to read, and your endings are priceless! Sorry to hear about the laptop! Glad you're getting a replacement!
Love Mom

Ashley Arnold said...

1. I'm extremely sorry your laptop was stolen. That is just not cool.
2. I like Parky's idea: time for a Mac. ;)Call me if you have questions about the Mac and what programs to get... I have opinions.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.